Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ionized

Supercross Improvisation

32 posts in this topic

improv-1.jpg

So, in this topic I will try to sum up a very long story in as few words as possible. But I can't promise that, so be prepared for some reading.

A few nights ago, C U and I had a very long discussion/argument on how we Supercross track makers are not creating our tracks to the best of our advantage. I obviously disagreed with this opinion but eventually came around to try something new. The two features in our tracks that was an annoyance to C U was the tuff blocks and berms. Hearing C U's opinion, we decided to experiment on a fresh canvas on how we could expand our creativity to make Supercross in Reach even closer to realism. I played around with the objects and once I found something I really liked, I began creating a brand new track using these ideas given by C U.

I'm sure everyone or a descent amount of people in the beginning of Reach who had tried to build a Supercross track had tried using columns for bordering. Well I'm bringing you back to that time and improving it 5x! Or at least make it work better. In real Supercross track, tuff blocks don't run along the base of sections, they run along the top of all sections to provide a clear visual and bordering of the track. That is exactly what I set out to accomplish.

improv2.jpg

improv1.jpg

Above, are two pictures of my latest Supercross track. As you can see, double wide objects are not large enough to support tuff blocks along the edges. Having blocks just floating on the edge of sections look pretty bad, so I got creative once again. I added rocks to support the tuff blocks and it had actually given the track a more Supercross type feel. But, knowing that there are only 50 rocks on forge world, you cannot use these throughout the entire track. I was able to complete almost 5 sections with the support rocks but eventually had to improvise once again.

Sand bags also work very well. They have a very nice appearance just as the rocks would. The only down side, you are limited to only 12. You are able too see in one of the pictures where I had chosen to use the sand bags, and if do say so my self, it looks damn good! After the sandbags have run out, there's XL-Inclines. Placing two next to each other are wide enough to have the same effect as the rocks and sandbags. There is spacing required for this track though, but it's quite simple. By placing a 2x4 Building block on top of them, and then a column on each end, you will be able to make the edges flush. I do not have an example picture of this, but I will try to get one up. 5x5 wide objects are to large for this type of bordering but may work in some instances such as the track running along a wall.

The berms are still a work in progress because I am trying to create a berm that takes up the last amount of object and money. I was able to create a wider berm that you can slightly see in one of the pictures above. The berm is made of two dishes and a wall curve. Another worry you may have is the budget. I use up pretty much every decorative piece in almost all of my tracks today. So I think there is a good possibility that this new suggestion could work out.

So, hopefully some will consider using this or some may not. I will be finishing my improvisational Supercross track whether or not some people totally agree with this new style. Maybe it will catch, maybe it wont. It's all about trying something new, and thats what I'm attempting here. I am about half way finished with the track you have just had a sneak peak of so I hope to finish soon.

So now I ask you, what is your opinion?

2 people like this

May I ask, I know im a noob to SX, what is a tuff block? And What is the problem with the current bordering and berms? But the rocks look awesome! The sand bags look cool as well.

Tuff blocks are the small blocks that border a supercross track like see above. And there is nothing wrong with the current bordering and berms, they work fine. But what the entire topic was about was improvising on how to make it more realistic.

Good idea. If I ever decide to try to make a supercross track I will try to use you're theory or "Improvisation".

I wanted to do these, but this is where c u fails to realize something. The decorative pieces are 50 Halo Bucks each. That's why I don't use them.

I say if you want realism in a game, go play forza, gran tourismo, MX Simulator, or some other game like that. Halo isn't supposed to be realistic, and SX is the cancer killing Halotracks, in my opinion.

Edited by Ice N1ne Kills

I say if you want realism in a game, go play forza, gran tourismo, MX Simulator, or some other game like that. Halo isn't supposed to be realistic, and SX is the cancer killing Halotracks, in my opinion.

Agreed but it is still fun to play on SX tracks on reach. But really if you guys want it to be more realistic game go play one of those games