CoookkieMonster

Jotunheim

9 posts in this topic

jotunheim.jpg

Creator: Jeffh3962

Track Name: Jotunheim

Map Name: Ragnarok

Supported Gametypes: RACETRACKS

Description: Jotunheim is a terrain racetrack on Ragnarok that combines old elements with some new ones. While perhaps it's not completely original, this racetrack earned a feature due to how racing on it never gets stale with the help of Jotunheim's decorative bordering, fast paced laps and somewhat challenging paths. The track features a very smooth man cannon boost throughout the longest stretch of water and a jump/shortcut at the end of the track. Steps were taken to make the track as uncheatable as possible, so watch out for those pesky kill barriers if you decide to try and "forge" your own path. Congratulations to Jeffh3962 on winning his first feature on HaloTracks!

2012_11_27_18_35_9-1_zps3a6aa19b.jpg

2012_11_27_18_33_38-1_zpsc8d2b84d.jpg

Interview

What inspired your creation?

Honestly, I just knew that I was one of the best Forgers to ever grace the game of Halo so it's no stretch to say that I was my own inspiration. I remember waking up one morning to gaze at the hulk of masculinity that is, well, me (duh) and deciding I'd make a featured map on HaloTracks. It's not every day you get to be easily the best looking cat around and still have the ability to love yourself more than everyone else does.

In all seriousness, I wanted to contribute to the contest for which I forged the track for! I've never done a terrain track, so a lot of things I looked at to guide me through Jotunheim's creation process were thoroughly inspired by some of my favorite tracks on Valhalla.

About how long did it take you to create?

Over a three-day time span, but forging time was more of something like 10-12 ours or so. I did a lot of messing around and wanting to find smooth, but somewhat challenging paths through Ragnarok.

What aspect took the longest to get right?

Easily the last jump, which is supposed to break but I'm finding out that it takes too much effort to do so (2nd version, anyone?). Getting the distance was easy and something that was never an issue. The angle and softness of the landing are what made that last part strenuous.

Well done Jeff, you deserved this, it's an awesome map, and despite it being a terrain track, you added in awesome features like the man cannons and jumps, great work!!!

I dun fixed up your confuzzling code, Cookie. I also think that having a more custom description from the Head Map Maker describing the track is better for featured maps. Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V can be confusing to read. In the original map post, I typed humor into the first line. This is OK, but when it's in the context of a featured map topic, people can get confused as to why I'm talking about making an "artsy" image. Doing your own description also gives people a different perspective as to why the map is featured and what's so good or not so good about it. Anyone can put "greatest map ever" in their original post, but you'd never want that to be in the feature topic, lol.

Huge thanks to everyone that voted and partook in Coookkie's contest! I've wanted to get a featured map for a while, but could never get close enough so needless to say that I'm really stoked to finally get one! My only regret is that my feature has brought upon the End Times. Sorry about that.

I dun fixed up your confuzzling code, Cookie. I also think that having a more custom description from the Head Map Maker describing the track is better for featured maps. Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V can be confusing to read. In the original map post, I typed humor into the first line. This is OK, but when it's in the context of a featured map topic, people can get confused as to why I'm talking about making an "artsy" image. Doing your own description also gives people a different perspective as to why the map is featured and what's so good or not so good about it. Anyone can put "greatest map ever" in their original post, but you'd never want that to be in the feature topic, lol.

Huge thanks to everyone that voted and partook in Coookkie's contest! I've wanted to get a featured map for a while, but could never get close enough so needless to say that I'm really stoked to finally get one! My only regret is that my feature has brought upon the End Times. Sorry about that.

Steve did the last like 100 featured maps, and I copied his format exactly. He always copied the exact map post description, so that's what I did. I'll use this new format from now on though.

Like a Viking! Only, I don't know what Vikings sounded like (though, I bet EoE knows since he's our resident expert on Vikings... being a Viking and all) so a sumo guy is probably a good accent to pronounce it in.

totez lulz