Playstation 4 Announcement
Sony's Andrew House said the new console will create "experiences that surpass gamers' wildest expectations."
Lead system architect on the PlayStation 4, Mark Cerny, said "the development of a next-gen platform started about five years ago" and that it's goal is "freeing developers from technological barriers." Cerny has a history in the video game industry dating back more than 30 years, first with Atari and later companies like Sega of Japan and Universal Interactive Studios.
Cerny said the platform is "by game creators for game creators" and that its architecture is "like a PC, but supercharged." PS4 uses the X86 CPU and has 8GB of memory and a local hard drive. It uses APU technology and GDDR5 memory, which is typically reserved for "top of the line, high end graphics cards."
The pillars of PS4 are Simple, Immediate, Social, Integrated and Personalized. PlayStation 4 supports suspending and reloading play sessions. The console has a secondary chip for uploading and downloading in the background. Digital games can be played as they are being downloaded.
The system supports seamless uploads of gameplay, spectating friends' gameplay sessions in real time as well as integrated chat. Players will have profile pages like Facebook integrated to the "full PlayStation ecosystem."
Major Points -
- Playstation 4 Announced
- To be released this holiday season
- Uses the X86 CPU and has 8GB memory
- Uses APU technology and GDDR5 memory, typically reserved for "top of the line, high end graphics cards"
- Similar controller design, but with touchpad in the middle
- Able to upload gameplay (not sure exactly what this means)
- Able to spectate friends gameplay in real time from the dashboard
- Facebook-like profile pages for users
- Speculated to have a $430 and $530 price option
Things Missing -
- Online gameplay - free or paid?
- Picture of actual console
Watch the Official Destiny Announcement Trailer - Pathways out of Darkness
At the time, Bungie said Destiny was headed to “future generation technology,” and it’s now clear exactly what that meant. "We can't wait to see what PlayStation fans do when they set foot in our world for the first time," Bungie co-founder Jason Jones said tonight.
Activision called Destiny the first "shared-world shooter." PlayStation 4 will receive exclusive playable content, with details to follow "in the coming months."
Major Points -
- To be released on the PS3 and the PS4 (still on Xbox 360 and Nextbox)
- Still no release date confirmed for Destiny
- No one knows whether it will be a release title for 2013 or released later in 2014
- Exclusive game content for Playstation owners
- New trailer!
I'm also assuming that the next Xbox will be mostly focused on the casual gamer, with Kinect release titles and Xbox Characters with stupid micro transactions for different pixels on your avatar. Playstation doesn't seem to be buying into this crap as much. Watch the announcement trailer for the next Xbox have a perfect family with 3 kids standing infront of a TV jumping, twirling, bending over, and having a blast with their new copy of Kinectimals 2!
As you can see, this is almost 100% assumptions, so I could be completely wrong.