Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RealDealD

Member Of The Month - February

15 posts in this topic

MOTM_zpse037f2d9.png

Banner by Jeffh3962

Hello everyone! As you may have noticed there has not been much going on around HaloTracks the last month or so. gives her apologies, hopefully it will not happen again for quite a long time! This month and I would like to present you with February's Member of the Month! Although this person was interviewed to be 2013’s last Member of the Month he now has the privilege of being 2014’s first Member of the Month! Along with being an active member here on HaloTracks, he has his own Youtube channel, hosts tournaments for the DRL, and is an active Map Maker. While he already has a steadily growing stream of accolades within the community, no one could better tell us more about DemolitionTurtle than the man himself. Without further to do, please welcome 2014's first Member of the Month!

What is it like to be a member here on HaloTracks?

My first experience of Halo racing was at a friend’s house, before I got an Xbox. We played on a rollercoaster on Halo 3’s Foundry, and I absolutely loved it. I got my Xbox in the summer of 2010, and I started forging a few tracks in Reach. I then found out about HT, and I’ve loved it since. I remember when I first joined I was a tad enthusiastic: I made about 30 posts in 2 days, and Steve warned me twice for spamming and bumping :p. I’ve been a Map Maker for most of the time since I applied in Reach, and I’d like to think my Forging skills are always improving...even if I don’t always get that much time to actually make maps. I love being on HT, and I’m honestly not sure what I’d do without it. I spend loads of time browsing the site, making tracks and racing in tournaments with other HT members. The atmosphere here is great; everybody is extremely friendly to members both new and old, and there’s always a laugh to be had on the site, be it in the shoutbox or a topic, or on the track.

What made you want to start a YouTube Channel?

I’d wanted to start a YouTube channel for about a year before I actually did, being inspired by other YouTubers making great videos. At the time, I could not afford a capture card, so I made some (pretty bad) videos of Call of Duty 5 on my computer, and had some fun with that. I also made a few Minecraft videos with friends, and some videos of level design work I was doing at the time with the Unreal Engine. One summer I decided to get a capture card, and I started making videos of Halo: Reach, showcasing my favourite maps and gametypes. I currently have just over 300 subscribers, and I’m closing in upon 50,000 views, which is awesome! I never expected to get anywhere near those numbers, especially for just one guy in his room, talking about Halo. I haven’t been that motivated to make videos recently because my school work load has been increasing and I have other commitments to do, but I still hope to keep making videos for my channel soon.

How has hosting in the Dirty Racing League been?

When Halo 4 first came out @CoookkieMonster started hosting the American DRL tournaments. The tournaments were held around midnight my time making it hard for me to ever attend them. After talking with Coookkie about it he had suggested that I start hosting another branch of the DRL at a different time to ensure that more members could enjoy the DRL. I happily hosted for about 5 weeks or so, but then my internet began to disapprove of my Xbox so I had to step down. I recently started hosting again, and I’m getting the better of my internet at the moment. I really enjoy hosting tournaments because it gives me a great opportunity to interact more with the community, and help support a squad and site that I love racing with. Despite the fact that picking maps, taking results and posting the topics is rather a lot of work, it’s great fun and I plan to keep hosting into the foreseeable future!

What is your favourite type of racing?

It’s got to be Demo. I first played Demo in Reach, attended a few tournaments, and I fell in love. I haven’t had that much of a chance to play Demo, but I did participate in a few HT Demo tournaments at the beginning of Halo 4, and although the gametype was a tad awkward to use, it was a lot of fun. Also, the “Demolition” in my name comes from this amazing gametype, which I hope lives on and I get ample opportunity to have fun with it in the future!

I see you're an active Map Maker, what is your motivation to keep on forging?

I love making maps for other people to play on and enjoy, and I love the satisfaction of having created a great map that I enjoy racing on. Picking a favorite map is difficult, but I think I’ll have to give it to Dragon MX one of my co-forges with Gogeta. I like racing on it and I think it looks pretty awesome with the consistent colors and the dragons. My favourite Map Maker in Halo 4 is a tough choice. I’m going to have to give it as a joint prize to @NukedIceCream and @Bean05 for their unique and crazy maps which are always a delight to race in the DRL; @WhiskeyWarm for his terrain tracks which are amazing to race and exceptionally well forged; and to @King Edward I because his maps, be they SX, nationals, terrain or even Rocket Race, are always beautifully forged and amazingly fun to play.

What is life like for you outside of HaloTracks?

I’m currently in what I think is the American equivalent of High School (I’m doing my GCSEs), and I mainly enjoy maths, physics and IT. I’m also a rather nerdy nerd: I may or not know about 30 digits of Pi and The Elements song by Tom Lehrer off by heart :D. Regarding computer programming/markup languages, I know the basics of Java, and I can make a reasonable website with HTML and CSS (I recently scored 98% in my IT project of making a website). I’m currently learning UnrealScript to make games with the Unreal Engine, PHP to program websites, and Objective-C and XCode to make iOS apps. I also enjoy playing video games, and my favorites are Halo (obviously :p), Trials Evolution, and I sometimes like playing Minecraft either with friends or with cool new mods (or both). I also enjoy playing older games such as Pac-Man, Tetris, and I have dabbled with games such as Zork.

What do you hope to bring to HaloTracks to help further its future?

I want to help the HT community continue to grow, which is why I host things such as the DRL tournaments and my Rocket Race challenge. I absolutely love HT and I’m honestly not sure what I’d do without it, so I want to give back what I can and help give current and new members lots to do and the ability to interact with the rest of the community.

If you ever decide to depart from HaloTracks, what do you want to be remembered as/for?

That’s a tough question. I hope I don’t leave any time soon, and I don’t really do anything specific that I want to be remembered for. I hope people just remember me as being a nice guy who likes to host tournaments and challenges, makes maps, and has fun racing with the rest of the HT community!

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed!

2 people like this

Awesome job RealDeal! Thanks for the help on this interview! :]

Congratulations Turtle! :]

2 people like this

Yay! Thank you so much for the feature, Journalists! I was so pleased when i heard about this :D

By the way, in the section about my favourite Map-Makers, Edward's name has been removed, I'm guessing because the member tag was used and his name was spelt wrong or something :p

1 person likes this

Well done, everyone. This was a good interview. You good guy, Mitch. We're lucky to have you, and I hope to have you with us for years to come!

Yay! Thank you so much for the feature, Journalists! I was so pleased when i heard about this :D

By the way, in the section about my favourite Map-Makers, Edward's name has been removed, I'm guessing because the member tag was used and his name was spelt wrong or something :p

Yeah, I forgot the space between his name. Thanks for catching that! We are pleased to have you in the community! :]