Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Le Hefe

Best of Halo 4 Introduction

7 posts in this topic

boh4.png

It's been almost two years since Halo 4 was released, and the racing community has definitely been through a lot. There were a lot of hurdles thrown our way, but we persevered, innovated, and prospered. The strength and resilience of the race community as a whole is continuously tested. We continuously pass that test with impunity every single time. We've shown that there are no limits to a creativity and ingenuity. As long as the tools and will to create are there, this community always finds it's way through. Perhaps not completely unscathed, but nonetheless through. It's time to end an incredible and historical two year run in Halo 4. Forge and race have a lot to show for it, but we want to know what stands out the most.

Welcome to Best of Halo 4!

How It Works

Best of Halo 4 is a one-month long contest. In it, the best racetracks and racers will be decided. This event is separated into two sections. The first section focuses on Forge, so let's go over that one first.

boh4forge.png

The Forge section of BOH4 focuses on racetracks created using the Forge in Halo 4. Best of Forge is split into 11 categories:

Best Overall
- The track that towers over all other racetracks. Truly the best of Halo 4.

Best Map Maker
- The best Forger in Halo 4.

-
These tracks have a little bit of everything, but do not necessarily fit into any specific category.

- Tracks where the majority of the racetrack is forged on natural terrain.

- This category is made up of Supercross and Nationals tracks.

- These kinds of tracks have almost all of their track in the sky. They float, basically.

- Roller coaster tracks are made to look like, well, roller coasters.

- Tracks that cause mayhem. You know it as wrecking. These tracks are designed to cause collisions that maim or kill.

- Demo tracks are designed to accommodate the Demo race variant. In Demo, two teams square off against each other to win. The goal: Get your racer to the finish and block the opposing teams's racer!

- Tracks that take you on a stroll through city-themed tracks. That stroll, by the way, is over 100kph.

Best Aesthetic
- Tracks that focus on scenery. The only category where form can be more important than function.

Nominations

Tracks are nominated by the Halo community (that's you) over a 2 week period. You can nominate for every category, and may do so to your heart's content. Things are going to be changed up a little bit this time around, though. Unlike previous Best of Halo events, we're allowing self-nominations for every category except Best Map Maker. To nominate your own creation, you must first nominate a racetrack not of your own making. You can also only nominate one of your own tracks per category. There is no minimum number of nominations you can make. If one is all you've got, then we're cool with that!

You cannot nominate tracks for the Best Overall category. This category is reserved for the winners of the previous 8 track categories.

To start nominating and view all of the rules, click here and get those nominations done!

Judging

After the nomination period ends, we will begin a week of preliminary judging. We, the HaloTracks Staff with some assistance from VIP's if necessary, will boil down the nominations to just the tracks that unequivocally stand out above the rest. This process lasts approximately one week.

Voting

This is where you come back in. Voting is the last stage in choosing the best tracks. As with past BOH contests, you will vote on your top 3 tracks per category. Your first vote counts as 3 points, the second is 2 points, and the 3rd vote is 1 point. As with nominations, you don't need to vote in every category for your vote to count. You can also come back at any time to add votes in categories that you haven't voted in.

Category voting lasts two weeks. The winning racetracks of each category are placed into Best Overall contention. The voting for Best Overall ends on November 8, 2014.

boh4race.png

The best racers of Halo 4 will have to earn it. Starting October 11th, a series of tournaments will take place to determine who makes it to the final rounds. These tournaments will be 12 racer-maximum lobbies and only centered around competition-friendly tracks. The final round will be a 1v1 double elimination bracket consisting of the top 12 racers from the first series of tournaments. The schedule goes as follows. All tournaments begin at 3:00PM Eastern Standard Time (US).

October 11, 2014
- Preliminaries 1

October 12, 2014
- Preliminaries 2

October 18, 2014
- Preliminaries 3

October 19, 2014
- Preliminaries 4

October 25, 2014
- Finals 1

November 1, 2014
- Finals 2 (Semi-Finals and Finals)

Qualifying

Getting into the finals requires qualification. This is what the preliminary tournaments are for. At the end of the prelims, the Top 12 racers will advance into the 1v1 bracket finals. Where you qualify is important. Your seed, or qualifying position, determines who you're matched up in the first round.

The Top 12 racers are determined through the four preliminary tournaments. After each tournament, the Top 3 finishers from each lobby move into a final qualifying round. The top 3 finishers from this final round advance to the finals, but can no longer participate in the other preliminaries.

Finals

The finals are a 1v1, double elimination bracket tournament. The first round commences on October 25, and will stop once the semi-finals are reached. Losing a round automatically moves you into the loser's bracket, and this where the fight for 3rd place begins. Losses in this bracket mean elimination from the tournament, entirely.

Who you face in the first round is determined by your seed. First place seed will face last place seed, second seed will face second-to-last seed, et cetera. The higher you qualify, the better your chances are of getting past the first round. The title of Best Racer goes to the winner of the final round! The loser of the final round on November 1st will play the winner of the loser's bracket for 2nd place.

Again, all times are at 3:00PM EST. If you're not a racer but still want to see what happens, you can watch live streams on our Twitch channel!

These tournaments will have individual topics assigned to them. You can expect the first set of tournaments to be posted very shortly.

PRIZES!

What's a competition without prizes? Winners of all categories will have their maps posted in our Best of Halo 4 gallery and granted the Distinguished rank on HaloTracks. The winner of Best Overall will have his or her track featured on HaloTracks, with a video showcase that will be posted on our YouTube channel.

The winners of Best Overall and Best Racer will also receive a free copy of this:

boh4prize.jpg

Already getting it? Don't worry, we'll get you something of equivalent value instead!

That'll wrap up this introduction to Best of Halo 4. We have an amazing month planned out for the racing community. It's been a wild two years, and it's finally time to send it out with a bang. We hope that you enjoy the event, and thank you for participating in Best of Halo 4!

7 people like this

i really hope i an win Best Map Maker and get that MCC. would be a big burden taken off of me... i'm going all out this time guys

i really hope i an win Best Map Maker and get that MCC. would be a big burden taken off of me... i'm going all out this time guys

Winners of Best Overall and Best Racer receive a copy of MCC I believe.

Winners of Best Overall and Best Racer receive a copy of MCC I believe.

thats what i meant x) silly milk man

I feel like Best Map Maker is a more significant feat than creating the best track; Best Overall could be a one hit wonder type of forger, while the best map maker continuously creates amazing tracks.

I feel like Best Map Maker is a more significant feat than creating the best track; Best Overall could be a one hit wonder type of forger, while the best map maker continuously creates amazing tracks.

Also, what would happen if a co-forged track won best overall?

Each gets approximately one half of a brand new Master Chief Collection disc.

Just kidding. They're both get a copy.