Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlexJ189

Byte sizes of maps and what they mean for us forgers . Important for everyone!

3 posts in this topic

Hey there, forgers.

Do you know the situation in H2A when you made a great map, but it would always crash when being played with a larger lobby? Well, I think I have found the reason for that. No good news.

You may have noticed that every map you make has got a certain byte size. Well, if that byte size is over a certain point the map won't load with a certain amount of people. Let me explain (The following part is contained of details - if you want to see the important message, skip the spoilers) :

For five days now I have been delving into the byte sizes of our forge canvases, and I found out that the minimum size for a map is 793 bytes [No objects on the map/Map name: One digit/Description: One digit]. All three canvases Nebula, Skyward and Awash have no differences in the matter of byte size. For every additional digit (spaces,too!) in the map name/description you have to add in 1-2 bytes. This is the list of the byte size of every single forge object there is (bottom-up):

• Structures: 23 bytes
  • Naturals: 23 bytes
  • Scenery: 23 bytes
  • Objectives: All objectives 30 bytes - except for Infection Shields (23 bytes)
  • Spawning: Initial/Respawn Points 23 bytes, Initial Camera 30 bytes, Respawn Zones 30 bytes, Safe/Kill Zones 29 bytes
  • Scripting: Timers/Switches 24 bytes, All triggers 30 bytes - except for Trigger On-Destroyed (26 bytes)
  • Gadgets: Explosives 24 bytes, Man Cannons/Gravity Volumes 23 bytes, Trait Zones 32 bytes, Teleporters 33 bytes, Base Shields/Special FXs/Toys 27 bytes, Lights 28 bytes
  • Map Gadgets: Switch/EMP Switch/ Garage Door/G D Switch 28 bytes, Glass Window/Ice Stalactite/Power Core/Barrier 27 bytes, Console Switch 24 bytes
  • Powerups: 27 bytes
  • Vehicles: 27 bytes
  • Weapons: 27 bytes

Test: Map [Map name: TEST , Description: TEST] with 1x Grid, 1x Teleporter, 1x Console Switch, 1x Switch Toggle, 1x Garage Door (All three connected) on it.

In game: 933 bytes - - - My list: 931 bytes

Keep in mind that I took 1 byte for each digit of both ESTs. You can do that with every map you made (Divergences of 5 bytes are normal, because no byte size from the list above and each digit is exact). Another thing I found out with that is that connected Scripting doesn't add anything in. Also we can conclude that byte sizes of objects have nothing to do with object size/shape/details. So now that everyone knows the basics, let's move on to the important thing I want to tell you:

The next part includes examples and speculations, but important ones. So at the beginning of MCC I made a map that was full of large cliffs, but only had like 200 objects. We didn't know why, but it worked with a 14 player lobby. It was laggy, but it worked (as I said before, byte sizes have nothing to do with framerate issues, that would be another topic about rendering objects). That map has got about ~6000 bytes.

Five days ago I checked out all of the maps' byte sizes and they all made sense to me in the matter of lobby experiences and overall performances.

I came to the solution that a map has to be under a certain byte size in order to work with a bigger lobby. In the following I want to share my speculations to the byte sizes and how they affect a custom game.

If you want to make a map that can support 14-16 players and has got multiple rounds the byte size has to be under 5000-6000. A map that supports 10-12 players and has got multiple rounds should have a byte size of under 7000-8000. One that plays with exactly 8 players should have under 8000-10000 bytes (multiple rounds) or under 9000-11000 bytes (one round).

One/Two player/s can play a map with any byte size together without having any issues. With three players it already could be crucial if they play a map with over 13000 bytes.

• Map with an average of 28 bytes object size and 200 objects: 5600 bytes
  • Map with an average of 28 bytes object size and 400 objects: 11200 bytes
  • Map with an average of 28 bytes object size and 600 objects: 16800 bytes

Keep in mind that all these results are not official. You understand that it is pretty difficult to decree standards due to connection failures, no dedicated servers in custom games and other bugs in the MCC. So I'll leave you with these speculations that are vague, but may not be all that wrong; and they should be taken seriously.

Thanks for reading this. Please tell your friends about this thread and fill in your own experiences. I suppose this is pretty important for every single forger since I don't think that :343: will fix that issue in the near future. But as you will know the Halo Forge Community is indestructible. We'll just deal with it. :cool:

Note: This whole guide was made by Buddy Jumps. All credit goes to him.

7 people like this

Very neat information. I already had ideas about the correlation between memory size of maps and lobby size, but it seems like the person who wrote this took time to put it on paper.

I have a golden rule for demo maps that it must be below 500 objects, which is good enough for the contest and my own standards. We actually did a 10 person game on a 500 object map. This might be helpful for those forging maps for more competitive racing like GP, MX, or terrain.

+1

Great read. Props to you Alex for posting this and to the guy who wrote it out. This thread should get pinned.

+1