Superior Forger

FHR Redemption

favorite leg. map to forge?   24 members have voted

1. 1. Whats you favorite leg. map to forge?

• Ghost Town
    • Avalanche
    • Blackout

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 posts in this topic

I've decided to renew the FHR Preview Series for my Youtube Channel "ForgeHaloRacetracks". I want to only do 3-4 categories this time and they have to be different from Halo 4.I'm thinking of some new categories, but if you guys could help with some tiles going from Worst to Best that would be helpful. Also please feel free to submit your tracks for the new FHR Preview Series. Regardless of weather you submit a map or not I will most likely get around to them in the long run.

I just thought of this: How about I create a DO NOT JUDGE list. This means that if you reply with "DO NOT JUDGE" below with "Your_Gamertag" I will not add your maps to the FHR Preview Series. This does not have to be permanent, if you decide in the future to take your name off the list please notify me.

Example:

DO NOT JUDGE "Your_Gamertag"

DO NOT FEATURE LIST:

Edited by Superior Forger

When I judge tracks I judge them as if they were built with no author. The problem with having the 5 categories that I originally had is the criteria between making the cut for OK, Good and Great was little difference and Awesome and Perfect were a huge difference. Needless to say I wanted to change the categories after the 1st 50 tracks, but that would have been a huge pain. I decided to be nice and not add the thousands of tracks that didn't even make it to the OK category. And lets remember Halo 4 had some issues, so all maps were judged solely based on these few things alone (1 racer): Smoothness, design, flaws - inconsistencies, and checkpoint placement and kill boundaries.

This time around I'm aiming for uniqueness, flow, and forge skill for the track, not forger skill. This basically means how lazy or fast the track looks like it was put together as Halo 2 is even faster to make tracks now. Aesthetics are always nice but has never been a necessity to be a good track. I'm gonna do 3 categories based by points in these 3 things out of a scale of 1-10: Uniqueness, Flow, and Forge Skill. I will then add the points as a total which will range from 3 - 30 points and thus be put in a category that have yet to be named. Hopefully this helps put it into a better perspective:

1-10 Points Category 1

11-20 Points Category 2

21-30 Points Category 3

To go into more detail:

Uniqueness: Things like 1st impression, mind blowing, why didn't I think of that, different and not just another racetrack.

Flow: How fluid the track is, this would work best on motocross, but can still work quite well for all other tracks. Things such as repetitive left turns, right turns, slow hill climbs, dead ends, quick fixes, checkpoint placements, kill boundaries, and anything else that you think would have to do with the flow of the track. Consistencies such as jump successes out of 100% for 5 laps.

Forge Skill: Basically the design of the track itself, was it sloppily tapperd, transitioned, or put together. Consistencies are also took into account here.

@Nuked based on what is stated above, why don't you go ahead and judge one of my tracks. Remind you tracks cannot be properly judged unless you play on them with at least 5 or more laps. And judge one of yours as well. Remember that regardless of the author the criteria is the ultimate judge.

I believe it's very much in context, he doesn't want you to judge and preview your own tracks as the opinions will be biased and the track will be misjudged.

@Nuked based on what is stated above, why don't you go ahead and judge one of my tracks. Remind you tracks cannot be properly judged unless you play on them with at least 5 or more laps. And judge one of yours as well. Remember that regardless of the author the criteria is the ultimate judge.

Although I don't appreciate you calling out my inability to fairly judge tracks, I will go ahead and judge one of yours and one of mine using the criteria you have described. A few things before I go ahead with what I have judged is a few points I feel should be addressed. The first would be your claim "aesthetics are always nice but has never been a necessity to be a good track," while this is true to the fundamentals of a track, I'm sure we can both agree that on skytracks nowadays that they are essential as the category itself has become extremely easy. Aesthetics make your track stand out from others and give it a unique feel to it.

A second thing to add would be that to properly judge a track you would not only need to play a proper amount of laps, but also with a proper amount of people. Something like a rollercoaster would be fine to judge by yourself, but something such as a motocross or mayhem track should be judged with others.

Onto your track: sXe

Uniqueness: The aesthetics set this apart from a generic rollercoaster. They are themed throughout the track and tie together with the map name, which is nice to see. The first banked turn is also cool as it can be a collision section once people are spread apart throughout the race, but is also easy to avoid people due to being double-wide. I don't feel this track has any wow-factor when it is loaded and initially gives off the feel of any other skytrack. I would give this track a 6 on uniqueness due to its aesthetics and overall map theme.

Flow: This track feels quite repetitive besides the initial banked turn as every other turn is either a hill or a wave. While these turns are smooth, it would be nice to see some more banked turns or spiral turns thrown into the mix. Something else that throws off the flow would be the flat 180 turn midway through the track. This turn kills all your speed and slows your down. On a flow category I would give this a 5 since it is smooth.

Forge Skill: This track is forged well and has no noticeable bumps or anything that throws you off. The first jump can be a bit sketchy at times but it never caused me to fall off the track. There is one transition that is a bit rough and could have been made a bit smoother but there wasn't any outlying problems with the way it was forged. A solid 8 on this one.

A total of all the categories would give this track 19/30 making it only slightly better than average.

My track (only one that I can really compare)

Uniqueness: The track is one of the only tracks that is forged on Zenith, making it stand out from the others. Other than the unique canvas and how it utilizes the elements, this track is simply a generic rollercoaster. The track has a few elements such as the "air-time" hill but is quite general in the other aspects. Unique canvas and utilization brings this up to an 8.

Flow: The track has a mix of banked turns, man-cannons, and hills making it quite diverse and non repetitive. The man-cannons placed throughout the track also keep your speed up. A couple parts that hurt the flow are the cave that is blind and cause you to fall off the track. A second thing that kills the flow would be the steep small hill in the middle of the track, it slows you down but doesn't completely kill your speed due to the steep downhill afterward. Another 8 on this one.

Forge Skill: The track is fairly smooth throughout with a few exceptions. The initial turn has some bumps at the start that could throw you off as well as the transition through the cave, but neither caused me to die in the laps that I raced. Overall the map is cleanly forged and doesn't show that much slop, and the minor mistakes don't take away from the overall feel of the track. Simple 8 out of 10.

Overall my track got 24/30 but this could be adjusted up or down slightly as I feel that it is impossible to fairly judge your own track due to the fact that there is always something in the back of your head wanting you to rate it higher to elevate yourself.

2 people like this

I thought you would get a kick out of that :D

Although I don't appreciate you calling out my inability to fairly judge tracks, I will go ahead and judge one of yours and one of mine using the criteria you have described. A few things before I go ahead with what I have judged is a few points I feel should be addressed. The first would be your claim "aesthetics are always nice but has never been a necessity to be a good track," while this is true to the fundamentals of a track, I'm sure we can both agree that on skytracks nowadays that they are essential as the category itself has become extremely easy. Aesthetics make your track stand out from others and give it a unique feel to it.

A second thing to add would be that to properly judge a track you would not only need to play a proper amount of laps, but also with a proper amount of people. Something like a rollercoaster would be fine to judge by yourself, but something such as a motocross or mayhem track should be judged with others.

If you did bring it back you probably want a grading scale less vague than OK, Good, Great etc. Perhaps a number or star based system might be to your benefit. Maybe up the production value on the videos too, less volume more quality, perhaps some music, different shots and a commentary.

1 person likes this

I have decided to get more active in the Halo community by making videos again for "ForgeHaloRacetracks". I'm not going to continue updating content for "SuperiorForging" as I will probably showcase them on ForgeHaloRacetracks anyways. New Series to be added: MCC Preview Series (2-5 Star Based maps - 4 Categories - Decent - Impressive - Magnificent - Perfection) Promo/announcement Vids (featuring Halotracks forge contest signups and possibly more - Commentary), Demotracks (showcases/commentary), Parkour Maps (showcases/commentary), and possibly Mongoose Challenge races (not positive on these yet).

Remember once a video is uploaded I will not remove it; so if you wish for your maps to not be on ForgeHaloRacetracks please let me know and I will add your name to the DO NOT FEATURE list.