Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Le Hefe

Community

6 posts in this topic

I want to preface this entire topic with that fact that I'm extremely unhappy right now.

Lately, there's been a lot of disrespect going around. Since I've clearly failed in engaging in private conversations with most of the members involved, I'm going to address everyone and give a refresher of the way things work around here and what is expected out of each and every one of you.

Community

Community isn't just a word we throw around telling people, "Hey! Come join our awesome gaming community, HaloTracks.org." There's meaning behind it, and that meaning is what drives this website forward. Community means reconciling your differences from the very beginning. It means you're entitled to your own opinion, but does not mean you're entitled to disrespect other members of your community for the sake of that opinion. Disagreeing with your peers is inevitable. There's nothing any of us can do to negate that simple fact. What we can do, is act on those disagreements constructively, objectively, and with the respect that everyone deserves. Which leads us into the next paragraph...

... Yes, respect is earned. No, you do not have to "respect" all of your fellow members. Treating someone with respect, however, is an entirely different manner. You're not in high school while on this website. I don't care if you're 14 or 41. All rules of this board apply to every single person in the exact same way, with no exceptions whatsoever. I'm going to put this next part simple and blunt.

I say this website is built by the community, and it is. You all help shape the image of this website. But this is not your website. It is your community. The domain, server, and all rights to HaloTracks are licensed under one name. That name is Jeffrey Heral. For those that don't know, that person is me. Having my name on these things means I have the only legal say in how this website is managed and what is allowed within. One of these things is being able to say this:

By signing into HaloTracks.org, you agree to the fact that you must abide by my standards in order to use this website.

Now, this sounds pretty harsh. Which is why I have refrained from ever typing that for over 3 years, because it's not the way I want you guys to see me as. I enjoy being a leader that can enjoy conversing and having fun with his community. What I enjoy most, though, is forgetting that I'm a leader of this website because I'm simply having that much fun. Lest we forget, this is still a fragile community. Just 3 years ago, HaloTracks went away entirely due to a similar schism that we're closely approaching.

I've let "boys be boys." That hasn't worked.

I'm tired of going to work, where I deal with entitlement like you wouldn't believe, to come back to the place where I relax and unwind to find the same thing. To give some of the guys and gals I don't normally talk to some more info about me, I work as a Customer Service Representative at Time Warner Cable. Simply put, I work in a call center. My job is to deal with frustrated customers that sometimes say the most vulgar things imaginable. To add another simple explanation, none of you are entitled to anything on this website. You are here voluntarily. There's no fee, no contract, and I don't ask that you commit time to the website that you don't want to give. You're free to come and go as you choose.

If I've talked to you and asked you to stop, that's just a nicer way of me telling you to stop.

I don't care how much you're liked by other people on this website.

I don't care if we talk on Xbox all the time.

I don't care how popular you are.

I don't care if you legitimately are, "The shit."

I don't care if you're the best Forger/racer on HT.

I don't care if you're the worst Forger/racer on HT.

I don't care if your warning status is at 0% or 100%.

What I do care about is how you represent the community of HaloTracks.org, internally and on Xbox Live.

The only respect you need to earn is mine, which is actually extremely easy. It first starts with accepting the fact that you're not going to like everyone on this website. There are going to be those people that make you question why I even let them stay on here. The answer to that is that they haven't done anything to lose my respect. When that happens, the ban hammer is swung. There's good news, though. I don't like to swing the Hammer ov Bans. I've been banned before. It only pushes problems away. You can't solve a problem after you've locked it away in a dark cage.

So this long, drawn out, bitchy topic is going to close soon. We are all a part of the same community. In this light, we are all family. HaloTracks has been around for a long time and will continue to be so. This is the place we all congregate to unwind, relax, and have a good time with our friends. This is a step away from our issues in the reals life. We all know what is about to happen to HT. It's taken a long time, but we have this big update looming over the horizon. I'm about to start a new squad that I hope will be every bit as awesome at HT Supercross. I want you to be a part of it. But that means I need all of you working with me.

What's been happening around here is not HaloTracks. This is how communities die. This is how we did die. I want to thank you for reading this topic and for being a member of this community. The fact that I get to sign in to HaloTracks.org every single day is something I never take for granted. I came extremely close to not being here... on Earth...... Alive. HaloTracks is a truly humbling experience for me, and it seriously sucks to see things the way they are right now. Without you guys, this is an empty board with no meaning, but please do not think that this makes you exempt from being dignifying.

I am not going to ban anyone and no warning statuses are going to be raised any further. The reason why is that everything that has been going on in the past is going to stop. Now, please don't confuse my saying that as requesting your problems be furloughed. Do what you need to do to get over your issues in a respectable manner. I'm not going to let "boys be boys" anymore. I'm going to let them be men, for a change.

I'm leaving this topic open for discussion. If you have any problems with what was said in this topic, please feel free to voice your concerns. Let's do what we can to move on.

Thank you.

3 people like this

Perhaps it's just cos I don't hang around here much anymore, but I never really realized there was a problem with people disrespecting one another. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with you asking them to not be dicks to one another, I thought that was just how mature individuals acted when interacting with each other. I personally don't see a problem with banning people who are more of a detriment to the community than a positive influence myself, but it's your call.

1 person likes this

It's just not the most productive way forward. I enjoy helping people, and I've been in the situation on this website where my past actions were held against me with impunity. I don't want to push the kind of mentality that was placed upon me to anyone within HT. Keeping this community together is extremely important to me and I don't want to just give up on someone because they're acting out. At the end of the day, we're all just people.

In any case, thanks for your input bro. I srsly appreciate it!

I totally agree with you.

Communities aren't just there for, excuse my language, "shits and Giggles". They are there, almost like a society. And to keep reigns on said society are rules: rules that are specifically made to benefit everyone in any way possible.

However, some people do like to test the rules and how well they are enforced. They are the kind of people that do, in fact, think that the communal website was made for no sole purpose.

They are the people that have their face imprinted in the hammer of justice.

I agree wholeheartedly to your judgment to make stronger enforcement of the rules and regulations.

And if ever you need help to clean the society of the foul and the cruel, let me be one to stand up to the podium.

If not, then as I have implored, I will be following the rules to the letter, just like everyone else should be doing.

I mean, it's considered a privilege to be in this thriving community of vivid creators.

It's not mandatory.

1 person likes this

I didn't realise this was happening either. What has been going on while I have been lurking in the shadows?

I have always tried to live by an 'everybody love each other' mentality on this website. This is not very hard to do because if you don't like someone then you don't have to interact with them. When someone makes you mad then all it takes is one click to navigate away from this website and take a break. Disrespecting other members makes no sense to me because we're all here for the same reasons. To race and have fun. If your definition of "fun" is to spread hate then I do still have a mint condition banhammer that I would love to take out of it's original packaging.

3 people like this

Looks like this topic is still relevant. So let me continue this two month old topic.

You do not fix HaloTracks policy.

You do not take matters into your own hands that could potentially put your reputation in jeopardy.

You do not do my job for me.

You are entitled to your own opinion.

You do not get to decide whether or not that opinion makes you look like a punk.

You are not entitled to any kind of attention.

You are not the specialest snowflake...

...but you make this community special. Part of that special-ness is that we aren't the community that turns against each other. It is insanely stressful for me to come home and see the small handful of members making this special place anything but special. I deal with a bunch of angry, entitled customers for 8 hours, 5 days a week. I have to say, what's been going on again basically means I work for more much more than 8 hours.

You might be right. Your opinion could be completely and utterly valid, but there's a right way to get things solved and there's the wrong way.

I don't know how many times I have to say, COME TO ME IF YOU HAVE ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS ON HALOTRACKS. I'm here to help you, not to reprimand you. But if you take matters into your own hands for long enough; if you try to solve a problem that you are not even remotely equipped to handle, then I will reprimand you. Let me completely honest, here. This is something that I tell my roommates all the time.

I would rather have an extremely inactive community that is vibrant, healthy, and has ample room to grow, than one that is extremely active but toxic, cruel, and uninviting to new members. This means that I will gladly swing the hammer, even to those of you that I call friends.

So, for the last time: I am here to help you. If you have any problems with a member, our rules, or anything that concerns this community, I want to hear from you before you do anything else.

If you cannot see yourself doing so, then I politely ask you to find another community. I do not want you here. Please do tell others of my cruelty, as well. I'll happily tell them I gave you every chance possible... and then some.

2 people like this