Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Le Hefe

Site Optimization

2 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm running through this version of HaloTracks in an effort to increase its efficiency. A lot of HT 4.0 was built on images. Lots and lots of images. As such, the load times on HaloTracks are less than I'd like them to be.

So I'm combing HT 4.1's markup to eliminate as many unnecessary images as possible. This will be a continuous process, as I will not shut the site down to perform these tasks. You will, however, begin to notice some changes here and there. Additionally, I'll also change the look of a few things when and where I see fit.

You might be asking yourself why I'm spending time working on this old girl. HT 5.0 sits on a development board... and is definitely much cooler... and is a more worthwhile venture, right? My answer to that is I simply want HT to function well in any state. HT 5.0 isn't out yet, leaving this version of the site as a source for many first impressions. At the very least, it's important that this version is also somewhat presentable.

I will not be making this version of the site to be mobile friendly! Doing so is more than possible, but would take a development period akin to the tournament system. In short, that would take weeks; possibly months to do.

I'll post an update to this topic once I have completed the changes. If you have any concerns or possible suggestions, please post them here and I'll respond as quickly as I can!

I've decreased an uncached load time (on my internet connection) to about 3.22 seconds, with cached load times hovering at around 1.12-1.76 seconds. This is down from 6-7 seconds uncached, and 2-3 seconds cached. The biggest variable in load times seems to be the headers, but there's not much optimization I can do there. The quickest load times will come with the "Default" header, as it will not load an additional image and loop through some extra Javascript.

Ceterus paribus, this should be finished. I'm sure I'll find elements to touch up in the future, but the bulk of the changes have been completed.

Let me know if the site seems a little bit quicker for you, is about the same, or even if it's slower.