ducain23

Race Gametype Tutorial

20 posts in this topic

So I made a tutorial on how to make your wonderful Racetrack a "real" track with checkpoints! It isn't hard at all to do once you get the hang of it. Only took me about 5 min to get my map set up :)

[youtubeHD=QYE0imxc7Mo][/youtubeHD]

1 person likes this

I gave you the big video code. If you want to know how I did it, when making a topic or a post, click the "Other styles" button and look at the very bottom. There's instructions on what part of the URL to add in the popup.

Thanks for posting this here, bro. I'm going to add this to the last HT Update, as well as pinning this here.

Haven't given the tutorial a proper watch yet, but I've bookmarked the brains and checkpoint prefabs you've made. Thanks for that Ducain.

Would it be possible to modify this to make Rocket Hog Race, Rocket Race, or Splocket Race? Is there anyone working on those game modes? I've been looking around but haven't found them, and I've never done anything in forge, so modifying script brains seems pretty daunting. It seems like the main difference is that the checkpoints need to be random (but unable to pick the same spot twice in a row), and need to disappear as soon as 1 team reaches them. I watched the whole video and read the design docs from 343, and it seems like there are a lot of places in the scripts where there is a "Random" property that is set to off, but it's not clear to me which ones should be set to on to make the checkpoint order random.

1 person likes this

Wow forge has got much more complicated since my Reach days. But thank you for the tutorial! Will be checking it out for sure.

Would it be possible to modify this to make Rocket Hog Race, Rocket Race, or Splocket Race? Is there anyone working on those game modes? I've been looking around but haven't found them, and I've never done anything in forge, so modifying script brains seems pretty daunting. It seems like the main difference is that the checkpoints need to be random (but unable to pick the same spot twice in a row), and need to disappear as soon as 1 team reaches them. I watched the whole video and read the design docs from 343, and it seems like there are a lot of places in the scripts where there is a "Random" property that is set to off, but it's not clear to me which ones should be set to on to make the checkpoint order random.

These gametypes should definitely be possible. @NukedIceCream has been playing around with different ways of scripting. He should be able to give you a little bit more information than I could in terms of setting up the scripts, but I don't think it would be immensely complicated. I'll get him in this topic to send you his thoughts!

Wow forge has got much more complicated since my Reach days. But thank you for the tutorial! Will be checking it out for sure.

Ohai, Spencoh! Forge is insane, now. You plan on making any tracks?

It definitely should be possible, but I haven't explored into it at all yet. I only recently made a very "ghetto" way to race with teams for a friends mario kart track. My order of priority atm is finishing my current track, starting work on Demo, then will look into rocket race alongside a proper team racing system.

I would highly recommend looking at the race design docs and take a look. Though it may look daunting, it provides a good look at how the gametype works and is quite simple to understand once you read through it once and paying attention to the notes on each section.

1 person likes this

It definitely should be possible, but I haven't explored into it at all yet. I only recently made a very "ghetto" way to race with teams for a friends mario kart track. My order of priority atm is finishing my current track, starting work on Demo, then will look into rocket race alongside a proper team racing system.

I would highly recommend looking at the race design docs and take a look. Though it may look daunting, it provides a good look at how the gametype works and is quite simple to understand once you read through it once and paying attention to the notes on each section.

Ok, I spent some quality time in Forge trying to figure some things out to make RHR, but there are some fundamental aspects of the 343 race gametype that I just don't understand and they are making it hard to figure out how everything works. So a few questions:

1. Some of their race brains have a WHILE <whatever> DO - Despawn > OBJECTS > THIS > Groups[exclude]. What is the point of Groups[exclude] here? It seems like its trying to despawn itself,. What does a Group even mean in this context? Is it referring to the Forge groups you can make to move a bunch of objects around?

2. I have a bunch of gates (brains with an boundary) with different spawn orders, just like in the race gametype. I want to set a global channel, say Global:Golf to a value (3), and then have all the gates watching for Number:Change on Global:Golf. If they see that number now equals their Spawn Order, they do something. I could not figure out how to compare to their spawn order.

3. Does Number:Change fire every time a number actually changes value, or every time its re-written? i.e. If I'm setting Global:alpha to 3 every 2 seconds, and I have some other action that is watching that channel, will that other action trigger every 2 seconds?

Ok, I spent some quality time in Forge trying to figure some things out to make RHR, but there are some fundamental aspects of the 343 race gametype that I just don't understand and they are making it hard to figure out how everything works. So a few questions:

1. Some of their race brains have a WHILE <whatever> DO - Despawn > OBJECTS > THIS > Groups[exclude]. What is the point of Groups[exclude] here? It seems like its trying to despawn itself,. What does a Group even mean in this context? Is it referring to the Forge groups you can make to move a bunch of objects around?

2. I have a bunch of gates (brains with an boundary) with different spawn orders, just like in the race gametype. I want to set a global channel, say Global:Golf to a value (3), and then have all the gates watching for Number:Change on Global:Golf. If they see that number now equals their Spawn Order, they do something. I could not figure out how to compare to their spawn order.

3. Does Number:Change fire every time a number actually changes value, or every time its re-written? i.e. If I'm setting Global:alpha to 3 every 2 seconds, and I have some other action that is watching that channel, will that other action trigger every 2 seconds?

1. I believe the despawn is linked to the interactive switch that comes w/ the brains. That switch despawns those brains and respawns them to allow you to modify and test settings without having to restart the game.

2. I haven't spent enough time tinkering with this to be able to give you a useful answer.

3. That is something I'm also not sure of, but should be easy to test. Have a single brain setting a number on a channel on a time interval, and a second brain looking for when that number is set and then broadcasts a sound globally if the condition is met.

1. I believe the despawn is linked to the interactive switch that comes w/ the brains. That switch despawns those brains and respawns them to allow you to modify and test settings without having to restart the game.

2. I haven't spent enough time tinkering with this to be able to give you a useful answer.

3. That is something I'm also not sure of, but should be easy to test. Have a single brain setting a number on a channel on a time interval, and a second brain looking for when that number is set and then broadcasts a sound globally if the condition is met.

1. Yeah, I understand that is the point of the despawn action in that brain. What I don't understand is why it has that "Groups [exclude]" filter on it. It selects only itself, then applies that Groups filter and I can't understand why.

3. I tested this as you suggested and it does NOT execute anything if you just rewrite the same number over and over again. Only triggers the event the first time it changes.

I think I'm getting close to having RHR working though. It was a huge mistake to base it off of Race, its actually very close to King of the Hill. Once I looked at that map/gametype things became a lot clearer.