ducain23

Race Gametype Tutorial

20 posts in this topic

Anyone else having a issue with the spawn? The spawn points with my checkpoints work while testing in forge. But in the game type, only the first checkpoint's spawns work, the rest just re-spawn me at the starting area.

Thanks Ducain!! The setup video helped. I'm seeing lots of variations out there, which is cool.

The 'Block Effects Zones' tutorial was helpful too.

ROCKET RACE ! ! !

I have also been experimenting with the Rocket Race Gametype, using the KotH brain set, but can't add multiple teams (just get RvB), or figure out the right settings to get hill to auto-switch on contact instead of a timer (using 30 seconds in testing).

Test Maps with 7 HILLS built on my files - "ICEbear Region" and "Shadow of Big Rocks". I'll reopen searchability on the gametype - on GunGoose for 2 players per vehicle. If I get it to work, I can adjust easily for 3 players per vehicle - Maybe using the Vespin Rocket Hog with the tiger stripes.

Oh Ducain23!, a 2nd tutorial on adding the sounds to the start sequence and checkpoint sound correctly would be awesome! :thumbsup:

Anyone else having a issue with the spawn? The spawn points with my checkpoints work while testing in forge. But in the game type, only the first checkpoint's spawns work, the rest just re-spawn me at the starting area.

Hi, ...do the respawns spawn order # match the checkpoint?

You may need to add a Spawn Volume (set to spawn order 0) over the whole map, or each checkpoint if it's a large area map.

Are all your assets LABELS set to "minigame: include" - I had to do this to some Invisible Blockers too.

Hope that helps...

JAMN

Hi, ...do the respawns spawn order # match the checkpoint?

You may need to add a Spawn Volume (set to spawn order 0) over the whole map, or each checkpoint if it's a large area map.

Are all your assets LABELS set to "minigame: include" - I had to do this to some Invisible Blockers too.

Hope that helps...

JAMN

Yeah, all my re-spawns are correctly numbered, and I've now tried your suggestion, which didn't seem to do anything.

However, I re-tested before doing your suggestions and realised that's it's only checkpoints 3 through to 6 that don't work, the rest work fine. It's really weird too, they're all set up the same way, the only difference is that checkpoints 3 to 6 are perpendicular to the others. I can't imagine that would make a difference though because checkpoints 1,2,9 & 10 are facing in the opposite direction to checkpoints 7 & 8, and checkpoints 3 & 4 are opposite to 5 & 6.

Yeah, all my re-spawns are correctly numbered, and I've now tried your suggestion, which didn't seem to do anything.

However, I re-tested before doing your suggestions and realised that's it's only checkpoints 3 through to 6 that don't work, the rest work fine. It's really weird too, they're all set up the same way, the only difference is that checkpoints 3 to 6 are perpendicular to the others. I can't imagine that would make a difference though because checkpoints 1,2,9 & 10 are facing in the opposite direction to checkpoints 7 & 8, and checkpoints 3 & 4 are opposite to 5 & 6.

...could be 'space' around the respawn point. I had a similar problem with respawns set too close to walls and too close to water. It might be that the point needs enough room to respawn "an occupied moving" vehicle? So, I lifted all the respawns up and set them level. In forge, I put a boundry on to guide me, to NOT place them into areas too small to respawn. It worked in this particular case...

Some maps get gremlins, sometimes doing a 'save-as' duplicate map can refresh and may resolve some issues. but that's only worked for me once. Good Luck!

...could be 'space' around the respawn point. I had a similar problem with respawns set too close to walls and too close to water. It might be that the point needs enough room to respawn "an occupied moving" vehicle? So, I lifted all the respawns up and set them level. In forge, I put a boundry on to guide me, to NOT place them into areas too small to respawn. It worked in this particular case...

Thank you, weird lifting them a tiny bit worked. Now I just need to get a lobby together to test the map proper.

ROCKET RACE ! ! !

I have also been experimenting with the Rocket Race Gametype, using the KotH brain set, but can't add multiple teams (just get RvB), or figure out the right settings to get hill to auto-switch on contact instead of a timer (using 30 seconds in testing).

Test Maps with 7 HILLS built on my files - "ICEbear Region" and "Shadow of Big Rocks". I'll reopen searchability on the gametype - on GunGoose for 2 players per vehicle. If I get it to work, I can adjust easily for 3 players per vehicle - Maybe using the Vespin Rocket Hog with the tiger stripes.

My brother and I worked on this over Xmas break and got a functional version of Rocket Hog Race, Rocket Race, or Splocket Race. The files are in my (IC Entropy) fileshare, and I just made them public today. The map is named "Blood Gulch - IC RHR" We only made one map, based on Blood Gulch, and the 3 corresponding gametypes. I saved the gametype and checkpoint brains as a premade, but they won't be public for a bit because I forgot to do that. Probably will call the prefab "Rocket Race Gate"

I based the gametypes on the KotH gametype, and we actually didn't remove a whole bunch of stuff that is in KotH that you don't need for RHR. I tried removing a bunch of brains I didn't think we needed and it stopped working, so I put them back. I made a design doc though, like the 343 ones (https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7t50isv1zfx2kw/Scripting%20-%20Rocket%20Race.docx?dl=0). It supports any number of teams, but has a few issues:

1. Can't figure out how to teleport players back into a vehicle if they get out. So the whole level needs to have a teleport volume that teleporters players (but no vehicles) to a kill volume somewhere on the map.

2. I can't limit the # of players per team, so if 4 people join Red, someone will just repeatedly spawn and die.

3. The rockets in Halo 5 have very little impact, so they can't flip Warthogs over very effectively like they did in Reach. Because of this, I had to turn off vehicle invulnerability and people can blow each other up, rather than flipping people over.

My brother and I worked on this over Xmas break and got a functional version of Rocket Hog Race, Rocket Race, or Splocket Race. The files are in my (IC Entropy) fileshare, and I just made them public today. The map is named "Blood Gulch - IC RHR" We only made one map, based on Blood Gulch, and the 3 corresponding gametypes. ...It supports any number of teams, but has a few issues:

1. Can't figure out how to teleport players back into a vehicle if they get out. So the whole level needs to have a teleport volume that teleporters players (but no vehicles) to a kill volume somewhere on the map.

2. I can't limit the # of players per team, so if 4 people join Red, someone will just repeatedly spawn and die.

hi IC, awesome ideas, bookmarking your stuff now. *on items 1 & 2 above. Try this tweek: in game mode options - starting Weps&Vehicles - vehicle creation - make this (use existing vehicle). Someone else told me this after my version did the same thing. It seems odd, but worked on mine. Players spawn on vehicles, and respawn to fill the vehicles, may not get the same driver/pass. combos on respawns. I just have it working for two teams, so far.

I'm using the slow-movement low-shields instead of teleporting to death. My version has stalled, but a few of us are attempting the same goal. Multi-teams and the instant change hill have not worked in my attempts. yours sounds promising.

Keep at it, I will update here If I have any success.

Edited by Kenjamin1 MI

hi IC, awesome ideas, bookmarking your stuff now. *on items 1 & 2 above. Try this tweek: in game mode options - starting Weps&Vehicles - vehicle creation - make this (use existing vehicle). Someone else told me this after my version did the same thing. It seems odd, but worked on mine. Players spawn on vehicles, and respawn to fill the vehicles, may not get the same driver/pass. combos on respawns. I just have it working for two teams, so far.

I'm using the slow-movement low-shields instead of teleporting to death. My version has stalled, but a few of us are attempting the same goal. Multi-teams and the instant change hill have not worked in my attempts. yours sounds promising.

Keep at it, I will update here If I have any success.

Yeah, I use that setting for spawn in vehicles. That part is no problem, but it doesn't teleport them back into it if they get out. I didn't want people standing around the map with rocket launchers, or just camping a point on foot, so I teleport/kill them. It also doesn't help with limiting players per team, though that is really only a problem in public lobbies. When I was testing it, people would just join and sit on Red team, causing one or more players on that team to repeatedly die (since they have to spawn in vehicle, red team only owns 1 vehicle, and its full).

Anyway, try out my gamemode and map, I think you'll find it does what you expect from RHR, but is still missing the feel of Reach RHR.

I also made my race brains/gate prefab public last night, so it should be available now.

Edited by Entropy42

Yeah, I use that setting for spawn in vehicles. That part is no problem, but it doesn't teleport them back into it if they get out. I didn't want people standing around the map with rocket launchers, or just camping a point on foot, so I teleport/kill them. It also doesn't help with limiting players per team, though that is really only a problem in public lobbies. When I was testing it, people would just join and sit on Red team, causing one or more players on that team to repeatedly die (since they have to spawn in vehicle, red team only owns 1 vehicle, and its full).

Anyway, try out my gamemode and map, I think you'll find it does what you expect from RHR, but is still missing the feel of Reach RHR.

I also made my race brains/gate prefab public last night, so it should be available now.

This is great, I'm pretty sure you got this!

I'm gonna try your prefabs on one of my maps and run with friends tonight. I was always OK with the players that exit or get ejected from a flipped vehicle are just super slow, they aren't scoring points, so it's up to the team with a driver missing a gunner to pick them back up, I use the indestructible vehicle so if your OUT you are vulnerable.

I did test the RocketRace gametypes I've been using on your map setup, and they worked great!

Also, try "Fill Evenly" instead of "Fill Fully", ...but I think you are right, dying is the only thing that is respawning player on moving vehicles.

Maybe you should start a Rocket Race Topic in HT somewhere. I've been working with 3 or 4 people to try and get this right. Customs lobbies are begging for IT!

*Hey, is the Pink Light Brain controlling 'Total Number of Hills' - ? is it that brains spawn order or in one of it's scripts? - I ask, because as I was in forge with your map, that brain had sp# 12 and you had 13 hill brains on map? I'm looking to use fewer, like 5 or 7.

Edited by Kenjamin1 MI

This is great, I'm pretty sure you got this!

I'm gonna try your prefabs on one of my maps and run with friends tonight. I was always OK with the players that exit or get ejected from a flipped vehicle are just super slow, they aren't scoring points, so it's up to the team with a driver missing a gunner to pick them back up, I use the indestructible vehicle so if your OUT you are vulnerable.

I did test the RocketRace gametypes I've been using on your map setup, and they worked great!

Also, try "Fill Evenly" instead of "Fill Fully", ...but I think you are right, dying is the only thing that is respawning player on moving vehicles.

Maybe you should start a Rocket Race Topic in HT somewhere. I've been working with 3 or 4 people to try and get this right. Customs lobbies are begging for IT!

*Hey, is the Pink Light Brain controlling 'Total Number of Hills' - ? is it that brains spawn order or in one of it's scripts? - I ask, because as I was in forge with your map, that brain had sp# 12 and you had 13 hill brains on map? I'm looking to use fewer, like 5 or 7.

You're right, I should stop hijacking this thread. I made one about RHR:

http://www.halotracks.org/forum/topic/29618-functional-rocket-race-map-gametype/