Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kenjamin1 MI

Rocket Race - do we agree?

42 posts in this topic

The tourney is gonna happen. Even if just two teams, I'm gonna host some fun!

As I have been reviewing the maps and the gametype for multiple teams, I find that the awesome prefab setup by AnonFriction has much different gameplay than the version I was trying to make with IC Entropy, AddiCT3d 2CHa0s and some friends. The AF gt has extra player shielding and normal movement and wacky abilities ON. Mine has normal shielding and slowed movement with NO wacky stuff. The difference is noticeable when you are OFF your vehicle and moving on foot, to get back on, or to try to troll like a punk.

Do we agree on player traits when a driver/passenger are off vehicle in a game?

AF seems to be in the "NO getting OFF your ride" camp. He even included a clever kill-system with his hill and control brain prefab. It comes with an instant killzone and two connected and scripted teleporters which cycle on and off. This gives you 2 maybe 3 seconds to get back on before the killzone activates and ZAP! He uses 500% shields and health, so when on foot, unless you take a rocket to the face, you probably keep walking.

Mine (and I may be remembering RR wrong), is from the "Fall OFF, or exit, you ARE a TARGET!" camp. You move REAL slow, you can't jump, you are a slow moving target and vulnerable to damage and death. None of the maps I have setup use the auto-killzone, maybe because I figured slow moving Spartans on foot aren't scoring points, are likely to get blown-up, and Can Get Splattered when hit by a vehicle! ...Oh so satisfying!

But, when it comes to the tournament I want to be sure all participants AGREE on how the Player Traits are set.

Settings that we have set up differently (other settings are nearly identical [I use 10% assassination]).

SETTING -- AF's vers. -- JAMN's vers.

Vehicle -- corp GunGoose (golden goose) -- oni GG; vehicle is indestructible (protecting occupants) as set in game map settings.

Primary -- SPNKr prime -- ad Victorian; Secondary -- tarturaus gavel -- scourge of fire.

Genades -- 6 Frag. -- 1f &1s;  both use infinite ammo, NOT Using bottomless clip.

Weapon Damage - 100%;   Melee/knkbk - 200%/400%;   Gren.Dmg./knkbk - 200%/300%

Shields -- 500% -- 100%; Health -- 500% -- 100%; Dmg Res. -- 200% -- 100%.

Radar HUD -- OFF -- ON w/150% radius; Wacky stuff (thrust-charge-pound) -- ON -- OFF.

Movement -- 100% -- 50% with 80% on fwd/back/strafe/jump/clamb. 110% gravity.

Post some opinions below, PLEASE... I have a tournament to run this Friday!!!

*Sign-Up now at HaloTracks 5.0 ! !

*update - I'm editing the OP with HIGHLIGHT on settings we'll use in FEB.17 Tournament.

I have the gametype searchable in my files - 'RR by AF 4 HT FEB 17' -

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/game-variants?lastModifiedFilter=Everything&sortOrder=BookmarkCount&page=1&gamertag=Kenjamin1 MI#ugc_halo-5-guardians_xbox-one_gamevariant_Kenjamin1 MI_c583db4b-31cd-446b-9307-62607c8948a9

Edited by Kenjamin1 MI

I have a small issue with   "Fall OFF, or exit, you ARE a TARGET!" . If you get tossed a great distance from your vehicle due to a clif, hill or structure, like falling off the top base platform on Avalanche, it could take 30 to 40 seconds to get back to your vehicle with slow movement speed applied. In some cases it may be impossible to get back to your vehicle so competitors know it is in their best interest to NOT kill you, and you have to search for a kill volume to return to action. This happened to me many times in Halo 3 when we played slow movement versions.

Understood, that can happen. But, when is it NOT in competitors best interest to kill enemies?

Our tests had instances where the passenger jumped or fell, driver kept going, the gametype pulled the player back to the goose upon death and in some cases before they were killed.

I'm trying to avoid the "reward" of a player-off vehicle having an unfair chance to affect other teams progress. Slow and vulnerable seemed like the way it used to be (Reach-H4). I thought the normal speed and super shileds let players feel safe off-vehicle, so they didn't scramble back onto their goose. Thanks for your input!

is there any version of this where the passenger can propel their own mongoose? I played a version of this with you before on h5 and it appeared as though you couldn't look down far enough to shoot the rocket below your own goose.

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

is there any version of this where the passenger can propel their own mongoose? I played a version of this with you before on h5 and it appeared as though you couldn't look down far enough to shoot the rocket below your own goose.

There is far less knockback with the Halo 5 weapons. A direct rocket hit to an unmoving Mongoose barely upsets it, where in past games it would be sent flying across the map. Lowering the player gravity no longer affects them while driving.

2 hours ago, Kenjamin1 MI said:

Understood, that can happen. But, when is it NOT in competitors best interest to kill enemies?

Our tests had instances where the passenger jumped or fell, driver kept going, the gametype pulled the player back to the goose upon death and in some cases before they were killed.

I'm trying to avoid the "reward" of a player-off vehicle having an unfair chance to affect other teams progress. Slow and vulnerable seemed like the way it used to be (Reach-H4). I thought the normal speed and super shileds let players feel safe off-vehicle, so they didn't scramble back onto their goose. Thanks for your input!

It's not in the best interest to kill an enemy when circumstances prevent them from scoring, or give you a strategic upper hand. For example in Grifball you NEVER kill an enemy player who is downfield from your Runner. Ever! Letting him kill you instead prevents him from spawning in front of your Runner, which may prevent your team from scoring. You also don't kill a player when you are 10 seconds away from grabbing a Flag in CTF, for the same reason. So many people do not get this. In a RR game (where the map does not kill the player) if you see an enemy who is unable to reach their vehicle in a timely fashion you don't splatter them, you instead leave alone and score some hills while they sort themselves out. It makes no sense to kill them (but most do anyway because it's fun).

I believe this version of Rocket Race, where it is nearly impossible to kill a player anyway, works best with a 10 second pulse kill zone, or a 10 second sweeping kill zone (like i use) Players can choose to run for a hill but they will more than likely be killed by the map prior to reaching their destination. It makes falling out of an upset vehicle a very risky situation, and running back to mount your vehicle before the kill zone hits adds to the tension of the game, rather than frustrating you with slow movement speed.

There are areas of maps where players may lose their vehicles, of be in a situation where it takes a long time to retrieve them (cliff & Mancanon on Deadlock, Clif, central pit, base top platform on Avalanche). In these circumstances you need to provide players with a swift method to return to the game without frustrating them further.

Third point, and this a point i make to any community developing new game types. You should try to punish players who are exploiting your game, but NEVER at the expense of players who are trying to play by the rules.  Say we are playing a friendly game of RR (where no one is trying to exploit the hitting hills off their vehicle) and i accidentally flip my Hog, and land in a Mancanon which flings me to the other side of the map. Why should i be punished with excruciatingly slow movement speed to get back to my vehicle so i can continue to play? Solutions to greifing should never punish regular players, and the mechanism to fight greifing should therefore be invisible to regular players. 

Timed/sweeping kill zones are not ideal but they are all we have until 343i provides us with the tools to force players back into vehicles. They help to prevent griefing, while also assisting players who are unable to reach their overturned vehicle in a timely manner.

Edited by NOKYARD

That was nearly relevant to what i asked. I didn't seem to have problems knocking back other peoples mongoose when playing. Just can't look down far enough to shoot my own, like i said previously.

25 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

That was nearly relevant to what i asked. I didn't seem to have problems knocking back other peoples mongoose when playing. Just can't look down far enough to shoot my own, like i said previously.

I guess what i meant to say was that it wouldn't help you much anyway if you were able to look down far enough.

Ahh. i imagine it could be of some use. I had no problem shooting rockets at other people and flipping their goose or sending it off course. It isn't old halo where you could lead the shot to blow up right in front of them and they go flying 100ft but you can at least flip them or move them 15ft.

Yeah, i think the days of landing the upper base hill on Valhalla by self propelling from the middle hill are over.