Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kenjamin1 MI

Rocket Race - do we agree?

42 posts in this topic

I have added the timed killzone feature to "iceBEAR Region" and "The ROCKTAGON". To make them better suited to the next tournament (...maybe April?).

I may add some additional mayhem to rocktagon, and have found only one or two other maps that have Rocket Race setups. If you find any or make one let me know. Thanks!

Hello! I am planning to host another Rocket Race Tournament next week. (Friday I think?)

Right! Great! - so get the teams back together, and invite the H5 players you know to join us. Let your friends know they can sign up solo (as a registered HaloTracks member), and we'll get teams organized before Race Time. This is mostly a great casual time with friends, who all plan to stop Hatter & Easy from repeating as champs. Whatever it takes.

ONE New question - Can we discuss the option of "bottomless clip" on the rockets? - ?? - @NOKYARD @Le Hefe

*some friends use this option and it helps give the rockets a chance to move something. It might be worth testing. ?

Almost all of the maps we used last time have been updated by their authors, upgraded and improved!!! - It's gonna be fun!!  !HALOTRACKS:banana:

Edited by Kenjamin1 MI

Wouldn't that cause issues with teams just spamming the checkpoint with rockets so no team could score?

1 person likes this

Well, that's true, but what 'issues'? The rockets currently have small effect on the travel of the gungoose, not as much as the hammer. You do still need to aim and hit a target while moving, so do all the teams, someone will get through and still score. I will be happy to test this out before the tourney if anyone has other concerns, or thinks it might be fun.

Nah, I don't think bottomless clips for rocks would be a good idea. Part of Rocket Race's skill involves hitting your shots. Reloading is a balancing act.

I'm going to try to make it tonight, but I can't be on at 7.  Hopefully you guys will still be playing when I'm able to get on.  

18 hours ago, Le Hefe said:

Nah, I don't think bottomless clips for rocks would be a good idea. Part of Rocket Race's skill involves hitting your shots. Reloading is a balancing act.

Did you write this before or after the Tourney (where we had bottomless clip)?? I thought it helped it be ROCKET Race again, not hammer race. imho

- @Entropy42 - thanks for signing up and trying. We only had 3 teams but it was a great time. I'll keep you in the loop for next time!

I don't know, it got quite chaotic with just the three teams. I can't imagine the chaos if we had even managed another team.

Edited by OrionHardy

Yeah, it was passable because we had a short lobby. A more stacked field will multiply whatever criticisms are to be had, exponentially. I still think it's better to not have bottemless clip, especially if competition is a thought crossing through anyone's mind.

I'm always biased to what takes more skill. Anyone can spam the right trigger and eventually get a hit. If those people win, I'll only accept so much shit because the skill-gap is small. I enjoy the grind towards getting better at something with limited options. Two rockets before a 3-4 second cooldown is a limitation that serves as a balancing act. Which goes much further than just one team being able to spam rockets.

You also want to mitigate a million rockets going towards one player. This is where driving skill is hindered. You can work with a handful of rockets for a short amount of time. When that's continuous, however, there's not much a driver can do other than count down to when the first lucky rocket F's his S up. Reloading opens the door for, not only a gunner's skillset, but the driver's as well. This forces the two of them to work more as a team, as opposed to two guys that just happen to be on the same Mongoose together.

But this is just my opinion. I respect that other people will have their own thoughts. Just wanted to make my bias known, so you can form the most objective way forward.