Camonized

Backwards Compatibility for H3 and H4

10 posts in this topic

Yesterday afternoon, 343 Industries released a Community Update on Halo Waypoint titled 'Halo Summer Celebration'. A few things were mentioned in the update, but the biggest news by far is the 'Back-Compat Blowout' announcement; Halo: CEA, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST and Halo 4 are being added to the backwards compatibility program for Xbox One. There are no official dates yet on when they're coming to the program, but there is more good news, as all map DLC for these titles will be made free for download once the titles go live on the backwards compatibility program. 

backcompatibility_visid_comingsoon-ca2fa

Each of these games will include campaign and multiplayer, and will even support LAN play on Xbox One – including LAN play between Xbox One and Xbox 360! Once released, you’ll be able to pop in your original disc or purchase a digital copy of the game via the Xbox Store and jump right in.

Best of all, once these titles are added to the program, every Xbox 360 Halo add-on map pack in the Xbox Store will be made available for free, ensuring you have everything you need to achieve maximum enjoyment in online matchmaking or custom games. We know this is something you’ve been asking for, and we’re excited to make these map packs available for all players.

We’ll have more details on the release timing soon but in the meantime, join us at RTX Austin 2017 for an exclusive hands-on preview with Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST running on Xbox One!

What are your thoughts? I know there are a lot of nostalgia bandits out there who've been longing for the racing days of H3/4 to return and it looks like the time has come! We can do H3 and H4 tournies again! I haven't been this excited for a Halo announcement in a long time.

1 person likes this

We'll see. The last time Microsoft/343 gave us the promise of redeemed nostalgia, it left us all quite the morose lot.

It's cool, but I'm not holding my breath. The hype just ain't the same as it used to be.

It's a shame they didn't do this from the get go and gave us Halo 2 Anniversary as a stand alone title instead of the MCC. I'd have brought a Xbox One from the get go.

15 hours ago, Le Hefe said:

We'll see. The last time Microsoft/343 gave us the promise of redeemed nostalgia, it left us all quite the morose lot.

It's cool, but I'm not holding my breath. The hype just ain't the same as it used to be.

Time will tell, indeed. This won't bring Halo back, but it's a step in the right direction. The games function and the content is still there. I'm sure they'll take data from the Reach conversion to make the transition to Xbox One a lot smoother as well. It's up to the community once the devs job is done.

12 hours ago, OrionHardy said:

It's a shame they didn't do this from the get go and gave us Halo 2 Anniversary as a stand alone title instead of the MCC. I'd have brought a Xbox One from the get go.

The good news is it's happening. This will give us an opportunity to host tournaments for this game again, which is what truly counts. 

I'm very excited at the possibility of Halo 4 racing again.  Now with the perspective of 3-4 years time passed, you realize how good we had it for that game in particular.  Maybe we'll even get that modded game type back with random timed gate drops and lap times. 

My concern stems from the terrible connectivity I've experienced on H3 in MCC, and the possibility that that extends to the stand-alone experience. 

On 07/09/2017 at 6:18 AM, PurpleCHYNAsaur said:

My concern stems from the terrible connectivity I've experienced on H3 in MCC, and the possibility that that extends to the stand-alone experience. 

Surely it be using the same connectivity as those playing on the 360.

I'm wondering how our community will respond once the back compat goes live and what happens to MCC going forward. I'm not sure what everyone has planned for these games but I remember H4 in particular being a pretty sizable game (base game is 8GB, not including updates or DLC) and I'm assuming there's plenty of folks with crammed hard drive space. I'm considering uninstalling MCC to make room for these games, but I'll only go through with it if tournaments are completely  in MCC. 

Too bad H5 takes up around 80GB. If there weren't foreseeable tournaments on the horizon, H5 would've been long gone from my Xbox.

H5 takes up over 100, lol.

The only reason I wouldn't uninstall MCC is because of the H2A campaign. It's one of the few things 343 did correctly in that game.

At this point, it feels pointless to throw all these halo titles into backwards compat when we have a game like MCC already out. My only optimistic view from releasing these titles again is seeing a revived Halo 3 community again. *nostalgia sets in*